Green Cards through Marriage: Evidence to Gather

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Many intending immigrants who have married a U.S. citizen or permanent resident believe that as long as their marriage is a true one based on love, there won't be a problem obtaining a green card.  The reality is that if you plan on getting a green card through marriage, you better have strong evidence to support your claim of a valid marriage. 

Long before an interview with an immigration official takes place, couples should be diligently taking the necessary steps to secure proof of their marital union.  The four areas that I recommend that couples focus on in this process are residence, finance, children and affidavits. 

It is extremely important to be able to show that you and your spouse live in the same place.  Proof of a shared residence can be demonstrated by providing a lease, mortgage or deed that has the names of both parties in a marriage.  If you have applied for a green card through marital relation, be sure to have your name added to the lease, mortgage or deed of the dwelling where both you and your spouse reside.

There are a multitude of ways to show shared finances.  The most common ways to demonstrate shared finances are through jointly filed tax returns, joint bank accounts, and monthly bills in the names of both spouses.  Again, a couple in the process of trying to obtain a green card for one spouse should be sure to file a joint tax return with their spouse, open a joint bank account, and/or call your local utility provider and request that the name of your spouse be added to the bill.  An immigration officer interviewing a married couple will no doubt be skeptical of their marriage if the couple is unable to provide any proof of shared finances.  

Other ways to prove the validity of a marriage are through children and sworn statements.  If you and your spouse have had a child together, be sure to provide a birth certificate for the child showing the names of both spouses as the parents.  A birth certificate with the names of the marital parties on it is possibly the strongest evidence of a valid marriage that there is.  If you are unable to show proof of a shared residence, shared finances or children of the marriage, sworn affidavits from friends and others who can attest to the validity of your marriage can be submitted.  When submitting affidavits in support of your marriage, make sure that the statements have a sufficient amount of detail and that they are signed in the presence of a notary.

To learn more about obtaining a green card through a spousal relationship, click here.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Jonathan Portner published on May 1, 2009 3:30 PM.

New Japanese Immigration Policy was the previous entry in this blog.

T. Don Hutto: A Detention Center for Families is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.


Powered by Movable Type 5.02